June 25, 2020 – Canada’s brightest sports stars are going one-on-one as Sportsnet and Team Canada join forces to launch Athlete2Athlete, a six-part digital series starting this week. Set to premiere today at Noon ET / 9 a.m. PT, Athlete2Athlete features some of Canada’s top athletes as they go beyond the sports headlines to have honest and open conversations designed to motivate and unite Canadians.
Starting with a discussion between Olympians Rosie MacLennan and Stephanie Labbé today, the series will touch on the impact of COVID-19 on sport and tackle important social issues such as racism, mental health and LGBTQ2S+ inclusivity to reveal just how powerfully sport connects us all.
With Sportsnet’s Arash Madani teeing up each Athlete2Athlete episode, the following Canadians will be featured over the next six weeks:
- Rosie MacLennan (Two-time Olympic champion, trampoline) and Stephanie Labbé – (Rio 2016 bronze medallist, Soccer)
- Kia Nurse (Rio 2016 Olympian, Basketball) and Miah-Marie Langlois (Rio 2016 Olympian, Basketball)
- Mark Tewksbury (Barcelona 1992 Olympic champion, Swimming), Markus Thormeyer (Rio 2016 Olympian, Swimming) and Annie Guglia (Tokyo 2020 hopeful, Skateboarding)
- Mikaël Kingsbury (PyeongChang 2018 Olympic champion, Freestyle Skiing) and Max Parrot (PyeongChang 2018 silver medallist, Snowboard)
- Aaron Brown (Rio 2016 bronze medallist, Athletics) and Donovan Bailey (Two-time Olympic champion, Athletics)
- Marie-Philip Poulin (Two-time Olympic champion, Hockey) and Max Domi (Centre, Montreal Canadiens)
Broadcast and episode details will be available prior to each broadcast on sportsnet.ca and across Sportsnet and Team Canada’s social channels.
About the Canadian Olympic Committee | Team Canada
The Canadian Olympic Committee leads the achievement of Team Canada’s podium success and advances Olympic values across Canada. Independent and predominantly privately funded, the COC delivers the resources that Canada’s elite athletes need to perform at their best and give their everything every day. By sharing our athletes’ stories, we inspire all Canadians through the power of sport: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Sportsnet is Canada’s #1 sports network. Uniting Canadians through sport, Sportsnet’s multimedia offerings include Sportsnet (consisting of 4 regional channels: East, Ontario, West, and Pacific), Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet 360, Sportsnet World, the Sportsnet Radio Network, Sportsnet.ca, Sportsnet NOW, SN NOW+, the Sportsnet app, and podcasts. Sportsnet is the official Canadian NHL national multiplatform rights holder, and is the regional broadcaster for the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, and Toronto Maple Leafs. Sportsnet also has extensive coverage of the Toronto Blue Jays and Toronto Raptors, as well as NBA, MLB, Grand Slam of Curling, Rogers Cup, CHL, IndyCar, WWE, and FA Cup. Sportsnet is part of Rogers Sports & Media, which is a subsidiary of Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX, NYSE: RCI). Visit Sportsnet.ca.
Sportsnet – Meghann Cox, email@example.com, (m) 416.258.3296
Canadian Olympic Committee – Josh Su, firstname.lastname@example.org, (m) 647.464.4060